In my original look at Google’s authorship attribution markup, I mentioned that I would like to have seen support for the less invasive <link> syntax as an alternative to having to promote Google+ with active clickable links on our own web pages (I love Google+, but that is another story).
Google did actually support this feature when they later introduced Google+ Pages and the associated rel=publisher markup for Google’s Direct Connect, excellent!
A Google employee reached out to call my attention the fact that several of the points I made in a November authorship article are no longer true. In the process of updating the article, I wanted to see if anything had changed regarding support for linking from an author’s site to Google+ using <link> instead of <a>… and I find that Google seems to have taken a step backwards on this front.
If you look at the rel=”publisher” documentation in languages other than English, i.e.
you’ll see I wasn’t imagining things (this may have changed by the time you read this):
<link rel=”publisher” href=”https://plus.google.com/[ID_Ihrer_Seite]” />
(English only speakers, just search the page for <link using ctrl-f in your browser)… but if you look at the current version of the same document in English, references to <link … are gone, sigh.
Tip: save Google help pages using Firefox’s Scrapbook extension… Google is a very dynamic company and some things change quick enough to keep me in a consulting job